Zhejiang Library was established in Hangzhou in 1900. It is one of the China’s public libraries having long history. In 1931, Daxue Road Branch was built. On December 26 1998, a new major building of Zhejiang Library preliminarily opened to public. and on the hundredth anniversary, November 18th 2000, it officially came into service. At present, Zhejiang Library has four sites with total floor space of 42,000 m2. The headquarters in a new building, is located on Shuguang Road, the other three branches are the Gushan Road Branch, Daxue Road Branch, and Jia Ye Tang Collection House in Huzhou City along. 7 branches and 29 circulation stations are distributed in different places in Zhejiang Province.
Zhejiang Library actively gets involved with the international communication and cooperation. In 1994, it became an institutional member of IFLA, and joined in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, and the Regional Section for Asia and Oceania as well. In December 1998, Zhejiang Library set up the relationship of “sister libraries” with Fukui-ken Library, Japan. In 2000, Zhejiang Library was approved qualified as UN Depository Library.